For a project I was working on, I installed a Promise VTrak M200i disk shelf (i for iSCSI but then that’s a whole other blog post!) and needed to add it into the customers management systems.
Unfortunately there didn’t seem to be a lot of information out there on Promise’s SNMP MIBs so with a bit of playing about, I was able to dig out the ones I needed. The Nagios plug-in I wrote and am making available here will monitor the shelf via SNMP and alert on the following chassis issues:
- critical if any of the shelf’s disk states changes from “OK”;
- warning if the battery state changes from “FullyCharged”;
- critical if either of the PSU states change from “Powered On and Functional”;
- critical is any of the cooling devices (fans) change from “Functional”;
- critical if any of the temperature sensors’ states change from “normal”;
- critical if any of the drives go offline or are missing; and
- warning if any of the drives go into the rebuilding state or have their PFA flag set.
While this is specifically designed for a single M200i, it should be easily customisable for other models.
- The table of physical disk statuses.
- The battery status.
- The table of Power Supply Unit statuses.
- The table of cooling device/fan statuses.
- The table of temperature sensor statuses.
- The number of drives that are offline.
- The number of drives in the PFA status set.
- The number of drives in rebuild status.
- The number of drives that are missing.