After seven years of using Cerberus as our helpdesk system at INEX, we decided it was time to upgrade / move on. Following a fairly exhaustive (and painful!) search, we settled on Zendesk as having the right mix of features:
- agent collision detection
- a very nice API with an official PHP client supporting composer
- a familiar workflow to what we were used to
- enough configurable settings to make it do what we wanted without having to wade through a kitchen sink of options
- mobile apps for both iOS and Android
The first hurdle was migrating all the existing tickets from Cerberus to Zendesk. There’s a number of ways we could have gone about this but the Cerberus schema was fairly intuitive and Laraval makes bootstrapping an application with database access really easy. As such, we simply iterated over the tickets in the Cerberus database and imported them into Zendesk (with attachments and by creating organisations and users on the fly).
See the code on GitHub at inex/cerb5-to-zendesk.